Saturday, December 31, 2005

Get A Life

Hmm, last day of 2005 - feels a little weird. It's been a lonely, lonely year.

We've been living in Ohio for about a year and a half and haven't made any REALLY good friends - you know, the kind of friends you can just hang with on a Friday night, not care that you're wearing sweats and play poker, Euchre and a bunch of silly board games (I love Scattergories), while eating a bunch of crap and drinking too much.

We had those kind of friends in upstate NY where we lived for three years. We moved to NY from MD which I hated to leave. I did NOT want to go to NY, especially since I hate winter. Boy, you don't know winter until you've lived in upstate NY. Woo hoo, I'd be happy when I saw the ground in April! But, NY turned out to be wonderful because of the great people we met, the wonderful yellow lab we rescued and the amazing autumns that just took your breath away with their colors.
My husband's job causes us to move every few years - good for his career but sucks to leave friends. I'm sure if we had kids we'd make friends a lot quicker but that's not an option. I also miss the self worth I didn't realize I had until I stopped having a "career". I just got tired of the whole process of finding prospective jobs, interviewing, working for a year or two and then having to quit. Just as I start to earn respect and gain credibility I'm walking out the door again. It was mentally exhausting so I stopped. Now I volunteer at a community college helping a professor teach English as a Second Language to students from all over the world. I like it, but it's not enough.

Resolutions for 2006
  1. Do something that makes me feel like a worthwhile human being

2 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Mc said...

stumbled upon your blog....great stuff! Keep up the good writing!!!

12/31/2005 10:57 AM  
Blogger 8675309 said...

Hey, Katherine --

Thanks for commenting on Lomax's blog; we always welcome new readers!

Sorry it's been a lonely year for you...my prayer is that 2006 will be filled with good friends who will open their hearts and homes to you and your family. And if you and hubby and Sampson ever find yourselves in L.A., I know another handsome yellow dog who'd love to hang out and play Scattergories. Sure, he's not the best speller, but he's a good sport....

Blessings to you,

jenny & Lomax

1/02/2006 9:01 PM  

<< Home