Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Untold Stories of the ER

Anyone ever watch "Untold Stories of the ER" on TLC? Whenever there isn't anything else on (read Grey's Anatomy, My Name is Earl, Arrested Development), I find myself strangely drawn to this way over the top show full of bad actors trying to act like good doctors.

I mean, where else can you see a huge cockroach stuck in someone's ear that when pulled out manages to dive down the doctor's shirt so that he starts stripping in the exam room; a voo doo ceremony performed to rid a woman of a curse (OK, they didn't call it a curse but something far more sinister and terrifyingly stupid that I can't remember); or a band of gypsies arguing who would get the "King's" bandana (I couldn't make this up if I tried) and be the next King should the King (whom I'm sure they loved very much) die that night. I was entranced by the blatant gypsy stereotyping - flowing, colorful clothes, bad accents, heavy makeup and a gazillion gold bangles on the women, dancing and playing music in the ER waiting room...it was fabulous! But wait, there's more. The woman proclaiming herself to be the "Queen" and her son were the only gypsies allowed in the King's room. And then in comes running another woman (granted, she was older and had on much less lipstick) saying that SHE was the Queen and the other chick was just the mistress. So there!

0 Comments:

<< Home