Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hands Off Bitch!

I watched the new Desperate Housewives this past Sunday and found the whole "to do" about Gabby kissing Lynette's husband Tom quite thought-provoking.

I asked some friends their opinion and it was interesting to note that my annoyingly cute, self-confident size 2 friends with fake boobs who were former cheerleaders didn't seem to have a problem with it. They said they would just laugh it off as a joke - no big deal. Then others like myself who were not part of the oh so popular "in" clique in high school (and have the boobs God gave us) thought otherwise.

I personally would find it very disrespectful if another woman kissed my husband on the mouth the way Gabby did to Tom - that wasn't a two second kiss either! Granted, I'm probably hyper sensitive, but I would see it as a slap in my face - "oh, a kiss from your wife isn't good enough to make you feel better about yourself so let me give you a real kiss from a real woman." Of course, my attitude makes the whole episode more about ME than about my husband but that's the way it should be anyway! :)

Interestingly enough, the "official" Desperate Housewives website has a poll asking if you would resent Gabby if you were Lynette. Currently, 66.1% of the 5,419 respondents say YES and only 33.8% say no, the kiss was just in good fun.

If anyone is reading, do you have any thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I watch the show also and would have to agree with you, I would defintely mind and resent Gabby. I fall in the same type you did in high school.

Thanks for dropping by my blog, hope its ok if I blogroll you.

Suz

1/11/2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Mama B said...

Definately resent it!!!!

1/12/2006 12:26 AM  
Blogger "D" said...

I wouldn't have been as nice as Lynnette was...I would have totally taken Gabby out. But that's just me! BTW, Thanks for stopping by straddling the line, and you were the closest guess of my secret!

1/12/2006 2:19 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I think any woman would feel threatened by what Gabby did, even the cute, self-confidant cheerleaders. They can say they'd be fine with it all they want, but let it actually happen and I think they'd be singing a different tune. Just like Gabby eventually did on the show.

1/12/2006 8:35 AM  

<< Home