Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy Birthday Lava Lamps!


Woo hoo! Forty years ago this week lava lamps were created.

OK, unless you're a child of the 70s like me, this probably doesn't mean crap to you. But I remember being mesmerized by the oozing, floating lumps o' lava. I could stand in the store and watch the lava bubble and move forever until my mom dragged me away.

I don't know why I couldn't have a lava lamp, mom! Why was I denied?! Anyone out there have one? I want to hear about it.

Maybe I was really frugal with my allowance but I think they were too expensive for me. Or at least I'm sure that's what my "save every dime" mother told me to prevent me spending my money on one. I'm sure I would have been a much happier kid had I had one.

Way cool, or as JJ would say, "dy-no-mite!"

3 Comments:

Blogger AntToeKnee said...

You've gotta wonder how something like the lava lamp came into being. I mean , for instance I can understand how we got into cooking meat. One day Ug is trying to impress the Ugettes and he drops the meat on the fire outside the cave and before you know it Neandertal is having a BBQ. But lava lamps? How he do that?!

1/03/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

hahaha, happy birthday lava lamp!

1/03/2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I never had a lava lamp, but my 14-year-old daughter has one. I guess it's true that all fads come back in style eventually!

Anyone know where I can buy a pet rock?

1/05/2006 10:27 AM  

<< Home