Friday, January 27, 2006

"Naturally" Healthy

Is it a bad thing to eat an entire jar of peanut butter in a week? I mean, if there are degrees of "wrongness", how wrong is it really?

What if I tell you that it's the "natural kind"? You know, just naturally really high fat peanuts and natural salt from the uh, natural Earth. In which case the salt is probably so polluted that next year "they" will discover it causes cancer. You know, like eggs, red meat, cheese, blah blah blah. Go eat some broccoli and stop telling us how we're killing ourselves by eating food that tastes good!

But, I digress. This wasn't really going to be a post about peanut butter except that I just finished the jar and felt a tad guilty about it. I promise to get on the stupid treadmill later so back off!

OK, just one more thing about peanut butter. I have created this "dessert" that I'm sure is so healthy that I've convinced myself it's OK to eat it at least twice a day as "snacks". Because I love you all so much, I will share the recipe.

Put a handful of chocolate chips in a bowl. Now, for this to be "healthy" they have to be the dark chocolate (semi-sweet) kind since now we know that dark chocolate is actually GOOD for you, woo hoo, best news I've heard in years. It's cheating if you use the milk chocolate ones but wow do they taste good! OK, so then add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter - the "natural" kind of course. Nuke that for about 40 seconds and then stir in Kashi Go Lean cereal. You know, that high protein-high fiber-tastes like cardboard-cereal - unless it's mixed with PB and chocolate. I mean really, anything mixed with PB and chocolate is going to be down right tasty!

I know you're saying, "Euuuwww, gross" but it's actually good. I have Husband hooked on it although he uses the sugar added peanut butter...tsk tsk

Hmm, forgot what I was actually going to post about today... Am I the only one that makes up really weird food combos? Tell me about yours! Don't make me feel like a freak alone. :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

If it's bad to eat an entire jar of peanut butter in a week, than my middle child will be seriously distressed. He loves peanut butter. We go through it in mass quantities.

Peanut butter is very good for you. I absolve you of all sin. :)

1/27/2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

My hubby could easily go through a jar of peanut butter in a week.

Your snack actually sounds pretty good. I like peanut butter, like chocolate chips and eat Kashi Crunch cereal, lol.

I dont have any strange food combos I eat. Though my hubby loves mayo on egg sandwiches and my littleman will put ketchup on anything if you let him.

Hugs Suz

1/27/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger David said...

I have just finished eating my favorite mid morning snack.

A sandwich made with brown whole wheat bread, smothered with a really thick layer of peanut butter, on top of the PB a layer of sliced bannana and coated with a thick layer of grape jelly. Guilt free I might add.

Thank you for the receipt.

1/27/2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger KTP said...

I don't have any that I think are weird but my old roommate used to eat whole raw green onions, or scallions if you like, dipped in mayo.

1/27/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Oh my god, that sounds so freaking good. Peanut butter and chocolate...mmmm...
I like cream cheese and jelly sandwiches...is that weird or normal?

1/27/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

OK David, your concoction sounds way too healthy although very good! Tiffany - my mom used to make cream cheese and jelly sandwiches on white bread for my brother and I. I had totally forgot that until you brought it up. They were good!

1/27/2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That sounds GOOD! (and yes, I could probably eat a jar in a week. I'll eat it right out of the jar, with a spoon)

So back to the recipe... do you just eat it warm? Sounds like you could almost spread it in a pan, let it cool, and have Chocoalate Peanut Butter Kashi Bars. :-)

1/27/2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger Mama B said...

Oh, it sounds good. I think I'll be brave enough to try it. Anything with chocolate has to be good.

1/27/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

My kids ate bowls of peanut butter for their bedtime snacks last night. And, uh...Jif. Whoops!

I will try that snack, but I know my husband will roll his eyes when he sees another box of Kashi Go Lean in the house. I really did like it, and I'm convinced it helped me lose 10 lbs last year. However...it gave me some really BAD gas. *blush* It was so bad. My family kept laughing at me because I am the QUEEN of, "Oh, how HORRIBLE!" when someone else does it. LOL

Weird food combo? My little brother used to eat tuna, french fries and ketchup altogether. And ya know what? I liked it. :p And I love omlettes with cheddar and green olives in them. And egg salad, with chunks of cheddar, and using it as a chip dip for Wavy Lays. :)

1/27/2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I actually enjoying dipping the cheesy doritios in sour cream. Everyone thinks it is gross but I love it.

1/27/2006 8:56 PM  

<< Home