Tuesday, January 24, 2006

No Name Calling Week

It's National No Name Calling Week!

Did everyone know or am I the only one that had to find out by reading it in the paper? Maybe because I'm not a mom...So, moms tell me - are the schools making a big deal about it? I really, really hope so.

I have to be honest and say I never really liked school until I got to college. I had friends, thank goodness, but we were never in the "popular" clique. And if you weren't in the popular clique, well then you were just losers. Everybody knew it. School was so hard - all the peer pressure and worrying about how to fit in. Conformity was IN, individuality was OUT until you got to college (at least at my college, I think because it was so big - 40,000 undergrad).

I've never told anyone this and I'm actually a little scared to write it down and put it out there for everyone to see how silly I am. ****Warning to David to stop reading because I'm sharing a private thought.**** One of the reasons I believe that I've never wanted to have kids is because I don't know if I could bear seeing my children go through some of the things I did. It was such a awkward time (middle school and high school) and I hated it so much that I wouldn't ever want to put my own children through it. How do you bear it when other kids are mean to your kids? I know all kids have to go through it, and maybe it's a good thing because it helps them learn how to deal with difficult situations.

I also believe that parents' responses to their kids pain, or are we calling it "agnst" these days, play a HUGE role in their ability to deal with hurtful situations with other kids. I also wonder if my mom had been more sensitive would I feel differently. That's a big admission for me. I'm not saying she was a "bad" mom at all, she wasn't. Just different than I wanted her to be. I wanted the kind of mom that would hold me when I cried and tell me she loved me. I wanted a mom like Lisa (you HAVE to read her post about her daughter Katie and the "mean girl"). Lisa, you're my hero!

Anyway, my lack of maternal dersires is a whole 'nother post. I'll have to really fortify myself with chocolate and margaritas before I go there...

I was just happy to read about No Name Calling Week and I've also read how schools are supposedly really cracking down on bullying. I hope that's true because bullying can really scar a kid for life. I know.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

No Name Calling Week? Oh, rats, and I just called David "not very nice". Good thing I didn't call him what I wanted to! :)

1/25/2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger David said...

Katherine, I have been there and I too wish my mother and father would have been more understanding.

Our own children survived the school years without too much difficulty. However I am terrified for our grandchildren now that they are getting older.

How do we stop school children from bullying when our society supports and promotes TV shows such as Fear Factor, Survivor, The Bachelor, The Apprentice on and on?

Zero tolerance has to be inclusive to work.

David the &&^&*) and the big &&##$%

1/25/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

For some reason children can be so nasty to each other and its just so sad. I have been thru it when I was young and my daughter went thru it really bad a few years ago when it came to her weight which she has now slimmed down alot.

I had no idea there was even such a thing as a "No Name Calling Week", what a neat idea!

Hugs Suz

1/25/2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Hee hee! I'm glad David has a sense of humor. Go, David!

Katherine, I wouldn't go back to those awful middle- and high school years for a million bucks. I've never been to a reunion because I had such a lousy time.

Of course, nowadays, bullying seems to be really out of control - OR kids are expelled for "violating" other children's rights by kissing them on the playground or whatever. There must be a happy medium somewhere.

I was always taught to fight my own battles, and I think it helped me later in life, but I was very aware that my mother would've been happy to go to school and raise holy hell with the principal if she felt I was being treated unfairly. I never let her do it, though. I definitely wanted to quietly fit in, at that point in my life.

1/25/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

Awesome. I suppose it's a bad week if you're a bully. I hate bullies.

1/25/2006 5:43 PM  

<< Home