Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Put Down the Stupid Phone

Grrrrrrrrrr

I made a lovely HOMEMADE pizza for dinner last night (OK, the crust was actually Boobobolli or whatever) and just when Husband and I had taken all of two bites his cell phone rings. This was beyond annoying to me since it has been happening more and more to the point where at least 3 evenings during the work week he gets "after hours" calls that seem to occur during dinner. I have no problem with him taking work calls at home - I just ask that he wait 15 freakin' minutes until we're done with dinner to return the calls.

But nooooooooooooo, there's always a good excuse. "I had to take this call. This woman left work today and had to go to the emergency room" Big deal! I spent 15 minutes putting together this HOMEMADE pizza!

OK, I didn't really say that...because in this case the woman actually did go to the emergency room...but my point is that there is always an excuse as to why he HAS to take the call immediately instead of waiting until we're done eating. I just think it's disrespectful to me. Especially since EVERY night after dinner he spends 2-3 hours on his laptop and all I get are grunts in response to any question asked while he's merrily clicking away.

So, he's talking away while I finish my pizza (damn good if I do say so myself). The steam is starting to come out of my ears because we have talked about answering the cell phone during dinner before. I pick up his dish of pizza and look at the dog. Sampson starts to drool...do I dare? I look at the garbage can, look back at the dog, his tail has started to go a mile a minute - for the love of God, the DOG can read my mind better than my husband. But no, I decide the pizza is probably too spicy for the dog and put the plate back down. Sampson sighs and puts his head on his paws.

The whole talking on the cell phone during dinner thing is becoming part of a very disturbing trend where I seem to be able to only talk to my husband on the weekend. And even then he'll work several hours each day. I appreciate that he works hard, but I don't like being taken for granted. So, I told him that and after only 10 minutes of me pouting (this man is a very fast learner) he apologized. His words, "I know I have a problem disengaging from work." haha. I just had to laugh - who talks like that?? He's spending waaaaaay too much time at work picking up stupidass jargon.

So, we're cool until the next time he even tries to answer a call during dinner because the dog is definitely getting his dinner then. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Cal the Wonderdog said...

You are so right, there's always going to be an emergency case. Just carve out 20 minutes of a night!

I like the part about the dog getting the dinner :)

Cal and his sidekick

2/01/2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

My husband just did this to me last night! We were at the tail end of dinner, and it was a combined business and social phone call. But I hear you, sister! It is sooo annoying.

Makes me wish I had a dog to feed his dinner to. ;)

2/01/2006 1:55 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Do you know how to yodel? Next time he gets a call during dinner, start yodeling as loud as you can. If he leaves the room, follow him. He should get the point pretty quick.

Of course, he may also try to have you committed to a psych ward. But hey, more people to eat dinner with!

2/01/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

OOoooh I hate that, too! My husband works a million hours a week and I'd like to go to the movies or dinner or even to the can without him saying "I need to check my messages" Fortunately, he cooks, so he wants to eat it when it's hot - he usually calls back or tells them he'll call back in a few minutes.. But it's all about his stomach - not me... however it works is fine with me.
LadyBug

2/01/2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Dont even get me started on hubbys and cell phones. Mine is glued to his and it gets me so angry especially since he is away a lot.

This past weekend he couldnt put the phone down for 5 mintues to say goodnight to littleman, I was so pissed.

hugs Suz

2/01/2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

I am sure it would only take a few times with the dog getting his dinner to get the message.
I don't have to deal with this problem with my husband fortunetly.

2/01/2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

OH NO! Uh yeah. There's no harm in asking him to NOT answer the phone unless he is specifically on call and that just can not be every day?! You should seriously sit down and talk about what you need from him when he comes home. It's not unreasonable to take an hour a night to talk, unwind, have a glass of wine, and chill.

Make it worth his while ;) LOL.

Cheers,
Kdubs

2/01/2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

boys are SO dumb

2/01/2006 9:15 PM  

<< Home