Monday, February 27, 2006

MONDAY MEMORIES #1


With Lent approaching (Ash Wednesday is this week although I always know Lent is coming by when Mardi Gras is) I thought I'd share my memory of When I Gave Up Chocolate for Lent.

Recall that TWO of my posts last week were about chocolate so you know I'm seriously addicted. I luuuuuuuuurve it lots.

Anyhoo, I had this great idea I was going to give up chocolate for Lent - my biggest sacrifice ever. God was going to be SO proud. I think giving up meat for the rest of my life (instead of just Fridays during Lent) would have been easier. But oh no, I was determined. My husband, who was my fiance at the time and therefore willing to go along with all my stupid ideas, agreed to also give up chocolate. He doesn't worship at the House of Chocolate like I do, but he definitely has a sweet tooth so this would be a sacrifice for him too, although a lesser one let me note in case God is reading my blog today.

Let me just sum up the experience - excruciating. You never know how badly you need, want, must have, cannot live without something until you are denied it. I decided things would go easier if I had something to look forward to. So, I went online and found all the most expensive, decadent chocolate I could - I was ordering from Belgium, Italy and Switzerland without a thought to the horror that would show up on my credit card when all those liras were converted to dollars.

Pounds and pounds of lovely chocolate arrived on my doorstep shortly before Easter (the official end of Lent for those of you who may not know). Everyday I looked at it longingly. My fiance and I talked about eating it every night when we came home from work, but we remained strong. Until the Saturday night before Easter Sunday. All it took was my fiance saying that it was "close enough" to Easter. We tore into those boxes, wrappers flying and started stuffing our faces - milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate with caramels, creams, liquor centers - oh joy! It went something like this: "Did you try the Hazelnut truffle with a caramel center and dark chocolate sprinkles" I asked? "Oh yes," my fiance answered and asked, "Do we have any of the Raspberry White Chocolate thingies left?"

Oh, the guilt. Let me tell you, there is NOTHING like Catholic guilt. Any Catholics out there can no doubt relate. I had failed and I regretted it deeply. But damn did that chocolate taste good! I have to confess after that Lent 6 years ago, I have never given up something so near and dear to me again in fear I would fail so spectacularly as I did with the Chocolate Incident. Instead, I try to DO something rather than give up something. This year I'm resolving to be more patient (at least during Lent, can't predict what might happen the Saturday before Easter Sunday). I'll let ya know how that goes...

Please visit these other great Monday Memories:
  1. Snickerdoodles
  2. LadyBug
  3. Ocean Lady
  4. Kdubs

12 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

That is hilarious! I'm surprised you didn't fly to Belgium and Italy!

My friend Melinda is catholic and always gives up chocolate and caffeine. She survives... by the grace of God. And I'm not a very good friend, either. I was always forgetting about lent... and leaving chocolate on her desk. :(

I'm with you... I told her to do something less drastic than taking away CHOCOLATE. But I know that's the whole point.

And I think God gave you bonus points while reading your blog. He knows you made a true sacrifice :P

2/27/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Oh, my memory is up, too.

2/27/2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Ocean Lady said...

Raspberry White Chocolate thingies sound really good! I'd love to have some of them. :)

2/27/2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

A great story. The only time I "gave up" something for Lent, was 2 years ago, and donated our Friday night date money to a local medical mission. Then I invited friends for soup and salad each Friday night instead (much cheaper but we still had our fellowship time). It's not in our faith tradition, but still a useful exercise.

2/27/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

That is hysterical!! I can almost see the wrappers flying and smell the chocolate...

I'm so glad you are doing the mm thing, too!
LadyBug

2/27/2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Reading your MM reminded me that I wanted to join in this week but forgot, oh well always next week.

Love your story. Can just imagine how good all those different chocolates must of tasted.

I have given up things for lent before, sometimes I make it through other times I dont.

Hugs Suz

2/27/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

If you find any patience, could you send some my way? I could sure use it!

2/27/2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

I am Catholic, too, so I can totally relate. In fact I grew up going to private school. You will still be admitted into Heaven I am sure!

Thanks for coming by my Monday Memory!

2/27/2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

LMAO! The catholic guilt, I have a catholic mother--- I know all about it LOLOL.

LOved the story,
Kdubs

2/27/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Libragirl said...

You want guilt. Try Jewish guilt with a twist of regular guilt.

That is hysterical. I am a total choc-o-holic. I couldn't give up chocolate if you paid me. I can barely make it through Rosh Hashanah

I linked through Shelli's I'm linking you MM on my site, if that's ok

2/27/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

This makes me glad we don't do "Lent" lol

2/27/2006 11:55 PM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Great story....boy, you are addicted! Thanks for the chuckle, now I must go find chocolate, must go find chocolate....oh great, the monster is awake now...must go find chocolate.

2/28/2006 5:54 PM  

<< Home