Friday, February 24, 2006

Must Have Chocolate

In a previous post I was dreaming about opening a chocolate lounge and eating chocolate with friends to my heart's content. I mentioned at the end how all the chocolate talk reminded me of how I was humiliated at a local chocolate store last year. So, here's the story...

My most embarrassing moment was last year at this same time - just after Valentine's Day which every chocoholic knows it's the best time to buy chocolate because it's on SALE. Yep, huge sales. I remember that it was a very cold Saturday but I was determined to go out and get my chocolate before everyone else bought it all (yea, I wasn't really rational but anyone who has experienced a chocolate craving can relate).

So, I made my husband take me to this local shop that makes homemade chocolate - no regular 'ol Hershey bar would do for this gal. So, after much comparing I decided on a HUGE 2 lb. box - red and heart shaped, no less! As I'm carrying it to the cash register, what appeared to be a sweet, elderly salesperson said to me, "Oh my, your baby is really going to enjoy all that chocolate!"

My husband looked at me to see if I had become instantaneously pregnant while in the store. I looked behind me because I was SURE this beyatch was not talkin' to ME! I am a very average size 8 for heaven's sake. Now, as I said, it was cold. So, I had wrapped this big fleece scarf around my neck and put my coat over it, so my coat was poufing out over my stomach, but come on! I was mortified.

A lesser person would have set the chocolate down, walked out of the store, and put in 2 hours at the gym. I just looked at the salesperson for a couple of seconds, walked up to the counter with my chocolate and said, "Why yes he will" while patting my stomach and pointing to a big chocolate covered pretzel adding, "And, I'll have one of those, too."

9 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

ROFL ... Great story, love the way you handled what she said.

Hugs Suz

2/24/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Mama B said...

LOL, I probably would have cried!!

2/24/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

OMG!!! You did well, my friend. A sense of humor and chocolate - you can conquer the world!
LadyBug

2/24/2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

You always crack. me. up. :) LOL

2/24/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Ha! That is too funny. (I'm sure not at the time) I would have done the same thing... "Uh, I'll take two of those, please." :p

2/25/2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger Just another American Expat said...

LOL!

I’m a Chocoholic myself, and I have no intention of joining Chocoholics Anonymous.

2/26/2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger Uisce said...

Now I know where to send all of my chocolate! Nope, I'm not a fan. Does that make me very strange? Please, don't answer that!! :)

2/27/2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I would have picked the chocolate over the gym too. Only I would have added a few truffles, to counteract the "mental anguish" the salesman inflicted.

2/27/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

ROTFL at least you handled it well, on that note you totally need to come check out what cookies are on offer today AND audition while you are at it ( as many times as you want to over the 48 hours !! )

Audition time again

2/27/2006 11:54 PM  

<< Home