Tuesday, February 28, 2006

On The Road Again

"Something's going on."

Yep, this is exactly what my husband's boss told him yesterday. Just to give you a little background, the rumors have been flying at his company - let's call them "Corporation Asshat" - for the past four months, and they're all about my husband - let's call him "Golden Boy of the Moment".

He's at the top of list to be promoted next which is all good, I'm very proud of him and he deserves it. However, this does mean yet another move for us. (Just to catch you up, we move every 2-3 years due to his job.) For those of you who have moved, you know how stressful the whole process is. I'm trying to be happy for him and be the good corporate wifey but it is a struggle. Just as I start to make some good friends, find my way around (yes, this takes me two years as I am seriously geographically challenged. I've insisted a street existed only to be informed the street I was thinking of is back in that other state we used to live in), and find doctors, dentists, hairdressers, etc. that I like, we move. Again.

So, when his boss says, "Something's going on" that is Corporation Asshat speak for "Pack your bags, you're outta here." Now of course we don't know WHERE yet, oh no, that would be too freakin' easy. Each week for the past four months my husband has come home convinced we're moving to a different state. Do you know how stressed that makes me? Why can't he see that and keep his mouth shut until he actually KNOWS?

I'm also very nervous about this next job of his because it is actually a job for me too. Oh, didn't you know that "Corporate Wife" is actually an occupation? Of course there's no pay or benefits...The responsibilites include hosting numerous parties where you are required to be able to talk on any subject while serving fabulous Coq au Vin and gallons of wine which WILL be spilled on your carpet by loud obnoxious "guests" who want to party all night. You are also required to plan several amazing outings and weekend getaways - and then host them - for people that you don't know and usually don't want to know. I just don't like the whole "fake", insincere attitude I get from a lot of these people.

The silver lining is that when we move we'll have to close our checking account here and open one in the new state. As I'm responsible for balancing the checkbook which hasn't balanced in oh, about 16 months, this is definitely an upside to moving! Need a drink and chocolate, gotta go.

14 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I feel your pain! Truly! And I empathize, more than I can say...

Question: Does your husband really HAVE to make these moves??? Does he know how difficult this is for you??? Is there another job in the same field that he could do/get--right there where you are now-- so you all wouldn't have to move,once again???

These are just questions. I have no answers...but these are the questions I would ask...and most likely, you know the answers to these questions already...

PLEASE, Forgive Me.

Forgive Me!

2/28/2006 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Otto K said...

Good luck. Wendy directed me here today.

2/28/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

OMG how stressful! :( I cannot stand fakeness - and I can't be fake either - kudos to you for putting up with that bravely. I cannot imagine not wanting to smack someone. :p

3/01/2006 7:32 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Oh no! You are a better woman that I could ever think to be. I don't like moving and I don't like having a bunch of strangers in my house. LOL Good luck with everything, I'll check back to see how it's going.

Wendy directed me here.

3/01/2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger kdubs said...

OH I understand. My ex husband was like this and I had to play pretty little wifee for too long. I hated it.

LOL

Hugs!

3/01/2006 8:11 AM  
Blogger mar said...

I lucked out, our last move was 12 years ago! it was supposed to end after 3-5 years...I know it is specially hard on the "corporate wives"! the business men get to go to the office where everything is more or less already running and we are the ones to fight our way through a new environment...Oh, well. Here is wishing you good luck and a wonderful city to move to :) Have a nice day. Just don't change your blog url! (lol)

3/01/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Well, if you have to move...
Come to Connecticut! We'll have our own parties involving numerous gallons of wine, and I have wood floors, so we don't even need to worry about spilling on the carpet!

3/01/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Ugh. I don't know if I should go for the promotion or not. A move every 2-3 years. I can't imagine. I moved right next door and that was stressful enough.

I just read this. Now you can't give it up for lent! (and you better be eating double today!)

3/01/2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Oh, and how come I'm always a day late to read your blog? (We already know I'm a dollar short) I must check in at the wrong times. Sorry!

3/01/2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger Mama B said...

Don't stress out too much. Just go with the flow....easier said than done, huh? I hate moving too!!

3/01/2006 11:39 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I don't think my checkbook has ever balanced. Thank god for internet banking so I can check my statement at all times!

I hope your stress level goes down.

3/01/2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I'd need a drink too.

~sigh~

I moved around a lot as a kid so now that I'm an adult, I HATE moving. I feel for you and hope things work out. Maybe you'll get a really great state, one where you know people already.

Yes, insincerity is something I myself hate.

(I messed up our checking and bills so bad, that the thought of it makes my stomach hurt. Needless to say my husband doesn't allow me to even look at a check book.)

3/01/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sounds exciting yet I'm sure it's no fun moving every 2-3 years. Do you know what state you are moving to yet?

Oh yeah I came to share my Chocolate Fudge Cookie with you.

Wendy Directed Me Here!

So I thought I'd share my cookie with you:)

Good luck!

3/01/2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

It's not just a job - it's an adventure!!

Let me know where and when!!
LadyBug

3/01/2006 6:59 PM  

<< Home