Monday, February 06, 2006

Pet Peeve #246

HER: So, how are you today? A little cold out there, huh?
ME: uuh, ah
HER: So, what have you been doing today?
ME: uh, nuffink
HER: So, do you have kids?
ME: uh uh
HER: Really? Well why not?
ME: Because we don't want them to have to talk to nosy bitches like you!

OK, I didn't really say that but I admit to thinking it so hard my eyes got buggy and that vein in my temple started throbbing a warning: cease and desist with the personal questions or I will kill you.

Seriously, this is how the conversation went this morning with a dental hygienist that I had never met before. That's right, never met her yet she feels it's appropriate to ask me intimate questions like why I don't have kids while her hands are in my mouth. HOW RUDE. Although I should be used to it because it happens ALL the time. I really can't figure out why total strangers think they have the right to ask such personal questions. What if, God forbid, I'd had a miscarriage. Sometimes I want to make up some truly horrible story just to try and shock these idiots into realizing how inappropriate their kid interrogation is.

I wish I could be rude back and say that's it's "none of their business", "not something I discuss" or "f&^% off" but hey, I am a nice person most of the time. I usually mumble something like, "oh, hasn't happened yet" (not gonna be able to get away with that too many years longer) or "don't know" but they never get the message. The shorter my answer the more persistent they are in questioning me, like this is supposed to be normal casual chit chat.

Besides The Floss Nazi (after the kid questions we moved on to a FIFTEEN MINUTE diatribe about flossing daily), I have gotten The Question from everyone from neighbors I just met, to telemarketers, to bank tellers, to cashiers, etc. I have no problem with someone asking if I have kids, but when I say "no", why must they feel they are owed an explanation as to why not??

Anyway, throughout 2006 I'll be writing about my other 245 pet peeves. wheeeeeee

11 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I totally agree with you. These people dont have a right to asked such private questions. Dont blame you at all for getting peeved at them. Its none of their nosey business.

Cant wait to read your other "Pet Peeves"

Hugs Suz

2/06/2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

People can be really irritating. I am not sure if it is lack of common sense or just plain nosiness, but it gets to me too!

2/06/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

Oohhhhh that would piss me off. When I had Braxton and I was going through my divorce I didn't have my rings on. People were SOOOO judgemental. Grrr. Then people say well if your marriage was on the rocks why did you get pregnant... I want to say DUHHHHHH it wasn't planned but I don't bother..LOL... people can be so rude. I'm so sorry.

People ask my best friend this and she has been trying for five years and it stings soooo bad.

Kdubs

2/06/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

gah! That would make me crazy, too. I'd be tempted to say something so mean and snarky like, "because I hate kids".

That would totally shut people up...

2/07/2006 1:22 AM  
Blogger mar said...

I hate those questions and people who ask them. I have an only child, it was our decision. He is a teenager now but when he was little, people would ask me why he didn't have any siblings. It's none of their business. I even said a couple of times that I couldn't have any more children, just to make them stop making questions and feel bad. Right there.

2/07/2006 6:57 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

How about "My psychic told me this isn't a good time" or "I swore when I was 12 that I'd have (insert celebrity name)'s children, and he hasn't called yet." Then there's always "We're still waiting to hear if the prison's going to allow conjugal visits" though your Husband may not approve of that one.

2/07/2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger HanktheDog said...

Yes, folks can be tough. By the way, maybe we should call them "people peeves."

2/07/2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Oh Hank, you crack me up! PEOPLE Peeves from now on...

2/07/2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger JuliaR said...

We also chose not to have children. If someone is ever so bold as to ask why, I put on my serious face and I say "I never felt the need to reproduce" and it shuts them right up. There's just no come-back for that one, apparently.

2/07/2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

246 pet peeves...wow! I think rude, annoying people should be at the top...I can't imagine what the other 245 are :p

2/07/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

People are just plain rude...
Sorry it has taken me so long to get over here... I dunno what happened..
Ladybug

2/15/2006 10:36 AM  

<< Home