Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Sweet Place to Lounge

Guess what is predicted to be one of the hottest, or let me say - sweetest, trends in 2006?

Chocolate lounges! Oh, I'm in heaven. No more hiding the box of chocolates and sneaking them when no one is looking. Now, women are being encouraged to eat rich, sinful chocolate WITH each other while gossiping and relaxing in chic, sophisticated lounges. You know, the kind with the dim mood lighting and the big comfy couches. I just love saying that word, come on, say it out loud with me, looouuuuunnnngggessss. Doesn't it just sound so sexy and decadent?

Seriously, trend-watching firm Datamonitor called chocolate "the new coffee" in a list of top 10 trends to watch in 2006. That actually cracks me up - "the new coffee". Kind of like every year when the fashionistas come out with a color that is pronounced "the new black". And then I go buy an entire outfit around this stupid color - complete with the colored shoes and matching handbag - because I'm a stupid idiot who likes to appear "up" on the trends.

I think this idea is so cool and if I 1) Had the money and 2) didn't move every couple of years I would so buy a franchise myself. I think the concept is wonderful - a place to meet your gal pals and chat over chocolate without looking over your shoulder to see whose watching you eat a pound of chocolate.

Anyone live in Chicago? The chocolate lounge I read about was called "Ethel's Chocolate Lounge" in Lincoln Park. They have 50 (fifty!!) types of gourmet chcolate as well as menu offerings such as "Truffles and Tea for Two" where you get a sample of 11 truffle varieties and tea - what fun! And, the South Bend Chocolate Co. also has chocolate cafes in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. I live in Columbus but believe me, if there was a chocolate cafe within a 100 mile radius, I'd know about it.

Has anyone heard of these places?? If I go to my local chocolate store (Anthony Thomas) which produces delicious homemade chocolates, and buy a pound (or more) and eat it today for breakfast, lunch and dinner but don't eat anything else, would that be bad? Because wouldn't the amount of calories add up to about what I'd eat during the day anyway...

That reminds me of a very funny although quite humilitating story that happened last year at Anthony Thomas just after Valentine's Day. Any guesses? I'll save it for another post.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mama B said...

Gotta find the nearest chocolate lounge in San Diego!!!! Sounds very interesting and yummy!

2/22/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Yummm, Sounds like a place i definitely need to go to. What a wonderful idea.

No fair leaving us hanging like that!

hugs Suz

2/22/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger River Witch said...

Forget a franchise ! Find a cute little store front and open your own little world of choclate - call it whatever you want, get someone cool and not thin to run it, and you can have all the chocolate you want whenever. After all, you'll have to stop in OFTEN to make sure things are over run with chocolate.

2/22/2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger David said...

A chocolate lounge would be a great place to go and relax right about now. I have been very busy with my whelping box of chocolates lately.

I am glad you are back and I enjoy reading your posts.

2/23/2006 12:10 PM  

<< Home