Monday, March 20, 2006

Monday Memory #4

I was trying to think of a happy memory for today, and the first one that came to mind was the day I took my last college final.

I can remember walking on the quad afterward, going back to my dorm room to pack up and leave the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana FOREVER. The sky was a brilliant, cloudless blue on a beautiful day in May. I was so happy to be done with four years of college and ready to get on with my life. I already had a job waiting for me at Big Asshat Insurance Company where I would end up slogging away for 10 long years before coming to my senses.

I specifically remember stopping on the quad and turning in a circle, looking at the sky and the buildings I would never go into again, telling myself to enjoy the moment and to remember it forever. I felt elated, joyous, and relieved.

Do you remember how you felt when you finished high school or college?


9 Comments:

Blogger FrogLegs said...

Oh yes I remember! I took pictures out of my old dorm room, took pictures of everything... so many wonderful memories. But I remember feeling sad as I drove away... happy sad, but sooo many great memories from college!

3/20/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

I was scared out of my mind....cause I realized that I had to go out and make a living now and support myself. Major eye-opener! My Monday Memory is up.

3/20/2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger mar said...

I remember my last day of grad school, going out to lunch with the most gorgeous man on campus!

3/20/2006 11:21 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

I was so excited to get a job. I had a one year old to support. I can still remember the day the letter arrived in the mail... I passed the state boards and was an official nurse. Loved the pay increase, too!

3/20/2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I got pregnant in high school and I remember the sadness and shame of NOT being able to finish. I had always swore I would rise above my situation and triumphant and of course things didn't turn out that way.

HOWEVER, I do remember when I finally graduated a year or so late and the feeling of having accomplished that, and having my 2 yr old daughter with me. It was a great memory, bittersweet but great.

3/20/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Jess and Jetta said...

Ihaven't graduated yet, but I'll let you know how I feel once I do. :) Great memory.

3/20/2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

I didn't want you to think that I linked myself and didn't comment. Blogger has been a real pain in the ass today. Hey, is that where your hubby works? Asshats are us, blogger pain in the ass. It all makes sense now!;)

I was sad for certain reasons when I left high school and I never graduated from college. But when I left my job for the last time, I remember feeling this enormous sense of relief. It was awesome. It wasn't that I didn't like the people or the job itself, I just fell so torn between my job and my family. It was really hard.

3/20/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

I walked the same quad--and was delighted to be done. But as you learned, life was really just starting over. And so many people I never saw again.

3/20/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Libragirl said...

I remember when I finished my last final in hs and college. Relief was not even the word to describe. Of course, I was a little stoned when I did my last college final which was a broadcast on the radio. It was funny but it rocked.

3/20/2006 9:16 PM  

<< Home