Thursday, March 02, 2006

My Nephew Nicholas

I wanted to share something about the picture I posted yesterday of me and my nephew Nicholas, who is 8.

My brother John is my only sibling and Nicholas is his only child so I just have one nephew and I absolutely adore him. He looks just like my brother except with red hair instead of black. Sometimes it freaks me out to look at him because I totally see my brother when we were young.

Last year Nicholas was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD which really wasn't a surprise but the "official" diagnosis brought up the medication question. In the end, he did start taking medicine and wow, what a difference. I know it's different for all kids but it really helped my nephew. He absolutely could not sit still for any length of time, had a ton of tantrums, couldn't focus, was doing horrible in school, etc.

I saw him at Christmas about two months after he started taking the medicine and he was still himself but so much happier. I could tell he just felt much more comfortable in his own skin. He actually sat down and played checkers and cards with me for hours and colored pictures. I couldn't believe it! He would NEVER do these things with me before and now it's so obvious that he couldn't (due to his inabilty to focus) rather than he just didn't want to.

He was so, so excited about this picture he and I colored and I was so proud of him. He's doing better in school, especially with reading. He's really had a rough couple of years. My brother and Nicholas' mom divorced after 7 years of a very rocky marriage. Within two years, both got remarried and Nicholas' mom had a baby a couple of months ago. So all of that on top of ADD was really a lot for him to handle. He has such a sweet personality and I'm so glad he's getting to show that off now!

7 Comments:

Blogger kdubs said...

AWwwww what a sweetie. I'm so glad it worked out for him. Some kids just need it. Awesome. :)

Kdubs

(I used to work with ADHD kids in my life before mommyhood)

3/02/2006 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Momma Bee said...

You can tell how sweet he is, and what a success story. Great picture too. I love the colors!

3/03/2006 12:10 AM  
Blogger Mama B said...

He is truly blessed to have an aunt like you!!! Thanks for sharing that story...he's definately a cutie!!

3/03/2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

He is cute, and I'm glad the meds helped.

And you're a hottie!

3/03/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Thanks for sharing his successful story. So glad the meds are making his life better.

My oldest is borderline ADHD, he was tested when he was in 2nd grade. School has always been hard for him and its been a long road but he is in 11th grade now and doing well.

Hugs Suz

3/03/2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I am so very glad that he was officially diagnosed and than was able to get medication. Some people are unwilling to do the medication or even having their children diagnosed and it often times is unfair to the child.

No matter what comments you get (hopefully they are all positive) what matters is that he is doing better, especially at school.

You are beautiful by the way. :0) and he's super cute with the red hair.

3/03/2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

He seems like a very sweet and bright kid. I'm glad the medication is working. He is lucky to have you available - especially since his life is a little topsy turvy right now.
Enjoy him!!
LadyBug

3/05/2006 10:14 AM  

<< Home