Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Rave Reviews for Me & Marley

****MOVE UPDATE****
Too funny - the interview is in the Charlotte, NC airport!! But there are two jobs open, PA and VA. Our first choice is VA because Husband's parents live there and my best friend lives only 1 1/2 hrs away from where the job would be. I can't even imagine what it would be like to move to a place where we'd actually know someone.
________________

If you have a pet or have ever loved one, read John Grogan’s Me & Marley. It’s currently #1 on the nonfiction bestseller’s list and definitely deserves to be. I started it at 8:30 p.m. last Thursday night and finished, sobbing, at 12:30 a.m. the next morning. I laughed a lot, too!

I could relate to some of Marley’s antics since I have a goofy, yellow lab myself. But in the end, the story is more about what the author learns from the dog which is to live each day to the fullest and that joy can be found in pretty much everything. Even, oh say, repeatedly breaking through every screen door the author ever installed.

I wasn’t crying because something terrible happens to the dog – he has a wonderful life with a family who loves him despite his bad behavior. I was crying because it’s such a beautiful, well-written story and it made me think about one day having to let my beloved Sampson go. He’s only six so I hope we have many happy years ahead of us. He is truly my lifesaver and I’m sure I’d be on Prozac and God knows what else without him.

When I started crying in bed reading this book, silently I thought, he woke up from a deep sleep in his bed on the floor. He got up and moved as close as he could to my side of the bed. Of course, this made me cry even more – he was comforting me even though sleep ranks #2 in his Dog Book of Joy (eating is #1). I know how silly it is to cry about losing him in the future when I have him healthy and happy to enjoy now. Yet I couldn’t make myself stop.

He came into my life when I desperately needed him even though I didn’t know that until he became such a part of my life that I can’t imagine a day without him. And that’s one special dog.

Has anyone else read this book or read a book that really touched your heart?

11 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

I'm going to read it. Thanks for sharing. I've not heard of it... isn't that sad?!

I hope you guys get to move to VA. That would be so great for you. An interview in an airport is kinda weird... Better than in McDonald's I guess. ;)

3/21/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Just another American Expat said...

Virginia? No Kidden? I’m a native Virginian . Born and raised in Hampton (On the Peninsula). Also lived in Northern Va...Great Falls. Like I’m sure you’re really interested…LOL. Anyway, take Virginia…good choice…nation’s best managed State, “Cradle of America”, and of course, “Virginia is for Lovers.”. Good choice.

Actually I have lived in quite a few places like…OHIO. Little place called North Olmsted just outside of Cleveland (Thus my love of the Browns). Anyway, like I said…choose Virginia. Am I annoying you yet? I know…I’m sounding like a homesick Expat who has lived in Germany 21 years too long.

Ok…I’ve regained my composure. ;-)

3/21/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger David said...

I will get that book as soon as possible, thank you for sharing.

Here is an excellant web site about Labradors mostly.

http://www.sarbin.com/caleb/

Just above the guestbook there is a link called, Take A Look. Don't forget the cleanex.

3/21/2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Isn't it amazing how dogs know?! And how unconditional their love is? I have a golden retriever and a black lab mix. But I have had other dogs as well and they all are so intuitive.

3/21/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

I have never heard of the book before but your post makes me want to read it.

Positive Vibes you get to move to VA.

Hugs Suz

3/21/2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

I live in VA!! Come to VA!!
LadyBug

3/21/2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

Hey I live in good ol' VA right outside of D.C.! I haven't read that book but I LOVE a good book recommendation. :)

3/21/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

You are the second person this week that has said this book is a must read, she sobbed too :)

3/22/2006 2:48 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I really hope you do get to move close to your family/friends! How exciting!

3/22/2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger Jess and Jetta said...

I hear you on how amazing dogs are! :)

3/22/2006 5:04 PM  
Blogger Muggs said...

I'm currently reading it and loving it!

3/22/2006 10:50 PM  

<< Home