Sunday, March 05, 2006

Weekend Wrap Up

Three Things that Bugged Me This Weekend

Ok, a little update here - I'm not doing so well on my Lenten resolution to have more patience. *sigh* It's just so dang hard when there are so many stupid people out there.

1. For example, in Missouri two public library branches moved a children's book about two male penguins raising a baby penguin to the nonfiction section after parents complained it had homosexual undertones. Personally, I think these parents should be forced to wear t-shirts saying "I overreact often and I'm prejudiced" in front of their children. In case you'd like to check this terribly harmful book out, it's called "And Tango Makes Three". It's based on a true story about penguins Roy and Silo (Oh my God, they're both MALE), who adopt an abandoned egg at the Central Park Zoo in New York City in the 1990s. Those dirty boys!

2. The second annoying thing that happened is that the Arnold Classic is in town. The Guvinator himself is even attending. This means my town has been overrun by over-pumped pill-popping creatine swigging neandrethals. This has prevented Husband and I from being able to go try this amazing homemade ice cream at a store downtown because there is no parking anywhere! These Arnold worshippers are supposed to be healthy - why aren't they walking everywhere? Why are the driving and taking all the parking spaces within miles of Jeni's Ice Creams??? I had been looking forward to trying this ice cream for weeks - it's become nationally known for it's deliciousness and unique flavors, the most popular being Salty Caramel. They've become so popular you can now buy their ice cream online but it ain't cheap (it can be shipped to you for a mere $75 or $8.33 per PINT.) Some flavors include:

• Salty Caramel
• Dark Cocoa Gelato
• Dark Cocoa Peppermint
• Bitter Orange Caramel
• Goat's Cheese with Figgy Conserve
• Lavendar and Wild Blueberry
• Berries and Burgundy Sorbet

Worth it I'm sure, but how the hell would I know?? Sure, I could wait until next weekend but as we know, I have a patience problem.

3. Ok, last thing 'cause even I'm sick of my whining at this point. Husband insisted (really, he did!) that I replace the bad karma bracelet I returned. I was very excited and dragged him to FIVE jewelry stores on Saturday. Poor man, I'm sure he'd rather hammer a nail into his hand, but HE doesn't have a patience problem like me. Well, I saw many lovely things but I didn't find anything I thought was a good enough value to actually pull the trigger on. Everything seemed way overpriced (even for jewelry which has like a 200% markup) and I just couldn't justify parting with the money. But, I will continue my search and I'm sure you're gonna have to hear about it...

11 Comments:

Blogger Mama B said...

Wow, that's some pricey ice cream!! Let me know how it tastes when you try it.

3/05/2006 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Im Chele In [dot] LA said...

wow thanks for stopping...
and nice hubby you got there.........

3/05/2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

Good luck with your search for a new "pretty!" And the penguin thing is so absurd, good grief. It's like when they said Bert & Ernie were gay-- sheesh! As for my issue, I shall report in full! I can't wait to talk with the capt of police! WAHOo!

3/05/2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

That ice cream sounds divine.
I am writing this to you at 7 in the morning, yes I DID get up to watch the pre Red Carpet stuff.
My friend is going to Eltons after party ( I think I hate him now lol)

3/05/2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

You will probably taste the money as you eat the ice cream!

3/05/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

Number one made me laugh out loud. lol... parents do need to relax!!

3/05/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger mar said...

I can't believe there are young parents like the ones in nr1!!! Bracelet: I lost (and found) a fav one and cannot trust them anymore... Have a nice monday!

3/06/2006 4:38 AM  
Blogger Just another American Expat said...

One point one…this whole issue about two men bringing up a kid or two women doing the same is something that carries personal significance for me. I have a “cousin” who grew up to be a seriously disturbed individual. I’m not sure if its because my Great Aunt was a mean old Lesbian bitch, or because her lesbian lover (my cousin’s bio mother) was even meaner, but because of this, same sex parenting has always left me with a bad feeling. I’m not a Christian right wing nut case, but a book about two male Penguins raising a little penguin surely must has an agenda of some kind.

On point two…Arnold, the perfect example of a brainless store mannequin turned into a politician. On the theme of Ice Cream…when I was in the States this summer, my mother introduced me and my younger son to the Cold Stone Creamery. Oh man! I love that Peanut Butter Cup perfection! Italians don’t have anything on Americans when it comes to Ice Cream

On point three…I can relate to you poor husband being “dragged around”.

3/06/2006 5:49 AM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

I am sure you'll find something lovely - do show us when you find it. I'm going to go get that book from the library today!!

LadyBug

3/06/2006 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Charly Bauer said...

Jeni just opened a second location at 1281 Grandview Ave. in Grandview Heights.

Visiting the North Market during the Arnold-fest is very challenging, to be sure...

Map

Full disclosure - I'm a partner in the business :)

Charly Bauer

3/06/2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Cool - thanks Charly! I'll definitely be stopping by this weekend for some Salty Caramel.

3/06/2006 8:24 PM  

<< Home