Monday, April 03, 2006

Monday Memory #5



THE BIRTHDAY SURPRISE

This is a recent memory as it happened just last year. My husband decided to surprise me for my birthday. When he told me he was planning a surprise I just laughed. He’s never been able to surprise me because he gets too excited and blows it. I ALWAYS know what I’m getting for Christmas way ahead of time because he either lets it slip or just gives it to me because he can’t wait. The man truly enjoys giving more than receiving (I know I’m a lucky girl!)

So, TWO months before my birthday he tells me he’s going to surprise me. “Uh huh, OK”, I say, smiling. Two weeks later he caves to the point of telling me that the surprise is he’s taking me somewhere but he’s not going to tell me where. “Sure, sounds good”, I say.

Well, he continues to taunt me and gloat about this big surprise to the point where I become seriously annoyed. I definitely liked it better when he couldn’t keep a secret. I finally blow up and tell him I think the whole thing is more about him being proud of himself for keeping a secret for the first time in his life than actually doing something nice for me for my birthday. Ouch nasty, but hey, there are only so many refrains of the “I know where we’re going and you don’t” song that a girl can take.

Anyway, the day of the trip comes and he’s holding firm. We’re packed and ready to leave for the airport. All I was told was to pack for warm weather. I’m in the office doing a last minute email check and he’s in the kitchen on his cell phone jabbering away. Then I hear, “Well, I’ve got to get going to the airport, Joe, we’re going to New Orleans!” “Ah ha”, I say, and then realize he can’t hear me and doesn’t realize that I’ve heard him. Hmm, dilemma…do I spoil his fun?

Of course. I make it all of about 15 minutes until we’re in the car and almost to the airport. “I know where we’re going”, I sing. He laughs, not believing me. “Where are we going then?”, he asks, clearly humoring me. “To New Orleans”, I say, very smugly. He looks at me with his mouth open. “How did you…?” “You said it on the phone”, I screeched triumphantly! He couldn’t believe it – didn’t even remember saying it on the phone!

So, we’re in the Charlotte airport waiting for our connecting flight when I hear, “Fancy meeting you here!” It’s close friends of ours from when we used to live in NY. My husband conspired with them to join us in New Orleans and that he did manage to keep me from finding out.

So in the end I declared him the winner – for the first time in our relationship he had managed to keep at least one secret!


PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME ONLY IF YOU'RE PLAYING MONDAY MEMORY. Otherwise, please leave a comment!

14 Comments:

Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Oh girlfriend, we must be from the "same tribe and from the same clan" I would have responded exactly the same way and the description of your Mr. Wonderful fits mine to a Tee! My guy gets so excited about any surprise he can't keep it either. How fun that we are on the same wave length!

4/03/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

That's a great story. I too can't keep a surprise or secret. But I'll tell you one. Those of us who can't resist telling the surprise, don't like to be surprised, so that's why we tell!

My MM is up.

4/03/2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

My husband is just like a kid when it comes to doing neat things for others...especially us. He can't wait for the big day to come so that you can open whatever it is that he got you.

4/03/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

What a great present! That is a wonderful memory. I bet you had a great time!

Trying to Catch Up: Monday Memories

4/03/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

I love this story and how in the end he did surprise you. Sounds like you have a wonderful hubby.

Hugs Suz

P.S. Prayers for your friend and her marriage.

Hugs Suz

4/03/2006 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Dariana said...

How romantic I think that he gets so excited he tells, lol. My husband of 7 months buys me the exact same thing he gets his Mother or buys her the exact same thing he gets me. That does not set well with me I guess because I would like to think that he sees a difference in us, lol.

4/03/2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger Libragirl said...

1/2 a surprise is still great. That's great. I want to eventually find someone like that.

4/03/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

Oh I cant keep surprises. EVER!

4/03/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Really cool. My hubby can't keep a secret either! And it is exactly the same for him. Either he slips up or he can't wait and gives it to me ahead of time.

4/04/2006 12:28 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

How fun! What a great surprise!

4/04/2006 1:37 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Well, I'm glad he DID surprise you. And what a great surprise!

My MM is up, too!

4/04/2006 3:05 AM  
Blogger mar said...

Wonderful memory. My husband cannot keep a secret either!!

4/04/2006 6:09 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

What a great gift! My birthdays trips usually consist of going to the grocery store or taking my daughter to her karate lesson. Can your Hubby call mine with some pointers on proper gift-giving?

4/04/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

That is so sweet. What a great trip you must have had.

4/04/2006 9:09 PM  

<< Home