Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Pimping Your Peep


Another post about Easter...sort of. Couldn't resist commenting about this content in the local paper.

It's called "Pimp Your Peep". The paper is asking readers to create a custom "peep" using those brightly colored lumps of sugar and marshmallow that appear around Easter. Their example is pictured at the left. So, you dress your peep up, take a picture, submit it to the paper and you could win a t-shirt.

I thought this contest was somewhat amusing. It created quite the backlash though, due to the title, “Pimp Your Peep”, and the stereotypical outfit the peep is wearing. People wrote Letters to the Editor about the inappropriateness of the contest and the fact that their children read the paper and they don’t want them reading the word “pimp”.

To be fair, the paper later published this other “pimped peep” in a much less controversial “outfit”.

Hmmm…I thought it was just a silly, fun contest but then again, I don’t have kids. On one hand I thought, well, why don't you monitor what your kids read? But on the other hand, would you really think you'd have to monitor what's in the daily paper??


What do you all think? Harmless or not?

2 Comments:

Blogger wordgirl said...

I have never EVER eated a Peep. Is that wrong?

4/11/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Ewww I cant stand the way those things taste, lol

As for the contest, my first thought at the word "pimp" was "what the heck" but after reading your post further I didnt see anything wrong with it and thought it would be fun to do.

Hugs Suz

4/11/2006 5:06 PM  

<< Home