Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday Memory #8


The front door opened and out she walked. She was only 7 or 8, head bent to the book in her hand, lips moving silently as she read. She walked slowly to the car in the driveway, not missing a step, the ends of her smooth brown pageboy curling sweetly under her chin. I marvelled at her smart outfit; a light gray spring coat, knee length, with black velvet buttons and a matching velvet band in her hair. Her shoes were black patent leather maryjanes which she wore with lacy white ankle socks. "Ah", I thought, "she must be going to church". It was a glorious Sunday morning - bright sunshine, blue sky, birds singing.

The little girl could have been me about 30 years ago. Seeing her read that book with such concentration - not wanting to stop for a second as she walked to the car - brought back such memories for me. I would always take a book in the car with me to read to and from church (of course I wasn't allowed to read while inside church, darn it). It was only a 10 or 15 minute ride from our house to church, but I just had to have a book and couldn't stop reading until we got there or were home again.

Of course this had serious repercussions later in life. I am the most geographically challenged person I know. When I turned 16 and got my drivers license I didn't know how to get from my house to anywhere! How could I, I'd spent all my time in the car with my nose buried in a book instead of looking out the window to see where we were going. None of the streets in the town I lived in for 15 1/2 years looked familiar!

Now that we move every few years, I have the perfect excuse for my lack of direction, "Oh, we recently moved here", I say and continue to say for oh, about two years.

The benefit of all that early reading was great writing and spelling skills which I hope that little brown-haired girl will have, too.


9 Comments:

Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Some of us are just geographically challenged. (Book worm or not.) My MM is up.

5/08/2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Hubby is geographically challenged to this day. I still have to give directions to my office....

Sweet memory.

5/08/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger kdubs said...

Wonderful story. I wsas the SAME way!! :)

5/08/2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Libragirl said...

I am geographically challenged and I can't blame reading in the car. That always makes me throw up. I just slept but my mom has no sense of direction so I blame her.
Yet I give the best directions because I use landmarks...Go to the third light, their is a cvs on the corner, you want to turn there. Of course, I tell them to turn the wrong direction but since everyone knows me, they turn the opposite way.

5/08/2006 7:14 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

That's so funny! I read in the car all the time too, and when I learned to drive I didn't know how to get ANYWHERE in my home town.

5/08/2006 7:24 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

I read constantly, too, as a kid. In the car and outside the car. That was partially responsible for my lack of directional ability. The other was that, once I could drive, my parents never let me. I didn't have a car of my own until I was 22 and my parents never, ever let me have the car to go anyplace. Result? I read whenver I was with them in the car,

I'm better now.

5/08/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

When I was young, reading in the car made me sick, but I can do it now--when I'm not driving. A sweet memory.

My MM is up.

5/08/2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

that was simply wonderful.

5/09/2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger mar said...

Wonderful post! I can relate to it, too. I have always loved to read, now I have to careful read maps in order to get somewhere!

5/09/2006 12:15 PM  

<< Home