Monday, May 01, 2006

Twenty Years Gone By

Wow, I just received info about my High School reunion in Bloomington, IL this summer. Too weird! I'm having a hard time believing it's been 20 years. Why, it seems like just yesterday I had huge bangs and was wearing Jordache jeans and white Keds. I remember being all sweaty and nervous to ask a guy to the Sadie Hawkins dance; I must have picked up and put down the phone 10 times before calling. I wore a big white gown with tiers of ruffles to the prom.

This weekend I went out to eat and just stared, mouth open, at the prom dresses the girls were wearing. I sure as heck never looked that sophisticated nor did I ever show that much skin in public. Holy cow! I couldn't believe the cleavage some of these girls were flashing. They boys still looked really young though, lol. All skinny, didn't know where to put their arms and legs and had a hard time looking their dates in the eyes. Who could blame them with all that bare flesh tempting them?!

Here are some questions from my reunion questionnaire that I thought were interesting. Feel free to share answers from your own high school experience.

1. What teacher or class best prepared you for your life?
English and Speech probably helped the most but no class really prepared me for “real life”. High School in general prepared me by teaching me to communicate and get along with a lot of different types of people.

2. Do you think you’re the same or different than you were in high school?
Both – still a little shy, still like to read a lot and learn but I’m more willing to try new things and not so concerned with whether I fit in or not. Traveling a lot and living in so many different places has made me a lot more independent. Now I better appreciate good friends like the ones I made in high school and still keep in touch with – you know who you are DBs! (My friends and I made up a secret sorority called the "Delta Betas".)

3. What did you do following high school?
I went to the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana and studied Business Administration. I did an internship in London, England for Merrill Lynch. After college I worked for State Farm Insurance in IL and MD for 10 years creating online applications for agents.
After leaving State Farm, I worked for an internet startup in D.C. When I moved to NY I worked for a publishing company and started doing literacy volunteering which I continued when we moved to Ohio. My husband and I are moving to Richmond, VA in May and I’ll look for something to keep me busy then. Hobbies/Interests – traveling, blogging, cooking, Pilates, reading detective novels

4. Give us a Family Update
I met my husband on a blind date in MD. We got engaged after 3 ½ months of dating and have been married for 6 ½ years. We have a yellow lab Sampson and two cats, Spenser and Hobbes.
My brother John (Class of ’85) is married and living in Tampa, FL. I am the doting Aunt of Nicholas, age 8.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

So are you going to go?? My 20th was 2 year ago and I didn't go. Now I kind of wish I had!

5/01/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Writer Mom said...

Reunions still make me a little nervous. I was voted 1/2 of a best couple, and that didn't work out. He bad mouthed me at the fifth, so I skipped the tenth. You think he'll be over it by the 20th? :)
*I may have to link this. The questions got me thinking.

5/01/2006 11:18 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

My husband and I went to different schools but are the same age. Our 20th reunions were a blast. I go mostly out of curiosity.

Best teachers...Holmes Brannon (Honors Eng. Lit) and Kay Dunn (Honors Composition). I'm different than I was in high school. More confident and more cynical. I graduated from Texas A&M with a major in Secondary Education and a double minor in English and History. I used to be a public school English teacher. Now I'm a free-lance writer.

5/02/2006 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Karen said...

I'm from central Il- went to Olympia (whooo, not as fancy as Bloomington!). are you going? I don't think I will go. I went to my 10th, and decided most of those people were annoying then... and still are. it sounds like you've had an interesting 20 yrs though.

5/03/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger mar said...

I spent my senior year in the US as an exchange student in the Midwest and had the best time, so I have been back for class reunions. Are you going to yours? nice questionnaire, now I know more about you :)

5/04/2006 3:37 AM  

<< Home