Friday, September 01, 2006

Dream a Little Dream for Me

The older I get the less I remember my dreams when I wake up. Kind of bums me out.

There is one dream that I recall very clearly and it actually had a huge impact on my life. I was in my late 20s and had been dating a guy very steadily. We had got to the point where we were discussing marriage and looking at rings - everyone, including us, knew we were headed down the aisle. It was just a matter of time.

Then, one morning I woke up sweating and panting (stop it, I was alone.) My dream had been so vivid and so clear it scared me. In it, I was in a wedding dress climbing a rope. Many of my friends were there holding the rope. My boyfriend was below me, grabbing at my dress as I climbed higher and away from him.

Hmm. Interesting, no? It was a wake up call and boy am I glad I smelled that coffee! Definitely dodged a bullet there. It made me really think about our relationship and realize I did NOT want to spend the rest of my life with this control freak. 'Cause truly, that's what he was and for whatever reason, low self-esteem I think, I went along with it.

I broke up with him pretty soon afterward - much to his surprise and that of his friends who actually called me for a while asking "why why." I initiated a job transfer and moved across the country not long after that. Met a guy on a blind date, dated him for 3 1/2 months, got engaged and seven years later I still adore the heck outta him.

Have you ever had a dream that really made you think about something and make an important change?

0 Comments:

<< Home