Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It's Not About You, Stupid

After several days of reading heartwrenching, beautiful tributes to the 2,996 victims of 9/11 I am emotionally drained. I've cried and cried for so many lives taken way too early.

There was one tribute that offended me, though. I'm not going to say whose, just that this woman seemed to forget it should be about the victim, not about her. She trumpeted the fact that here she was a Christian woman and lo and behold she had been assigned a good, upstanding Christian woman to honor. And she knew this because she knew somebody who had attended the victim's church and blah, blah, blah.

I have to say I really wanted to smack her. Surely she wasn't trying to say that if a 9/11 victim wasn't a Christian they don't deserve to be honored? Because that's what was coming through loud and clear in her "tribute."

She reminded me of a guy I dated before I realized what an asshat he was. I was 17 and really didn't know - or care - anything about his religious beliefs. We'd been dating a few months when my beloved Grandpa passed away. After attending his funeral in another state, I returned home and was talking to my boyfriend about how sad I was. "Did he accept Jesus Christ into his heart?" boyfriend asked me. I was bewildered - "What are you talking about?" I asked, "he believed in God." "Oh, it doesn't matter if he believed in God - he has to accept Christ into his heart. If he didn't, he's in hell right now."

Yep, this is what he said to me as I cried and mourned for my Grandpa. I quickly helped him accept into his heart that we were no longer dating.

Believe whatever you want to believe but don't shove it down my throat.

0 Comments:

<< Home