Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Where is My Dessert?!

So, I am giving kudos to myself this week (yes, for the entire week) for surviving a luncheon with my mother-in-law. It was not easy.

She did call me well in advance to tell me I was going - there was no inviting. She's in some women's club that I have no idea what their purpose is other than to get together and gossip. She further tells me the luncheon's featured speaker will be discussing "Retirement Facilities for the Elderly." I kid you not. These ladies are all 65+ so it's probably a good topic for THEM.

I try to politely decline, saying I'll attend another time when there is a different topic. I actually say those words over the phone but she completely ignores me. "You'll get to meet all my friends!" she says. Why do I want to do that?? They're at least 25 years older than me and live 2 hours away, so 1) We probably don't have a lot in common and, 2) I doubt I"ll ever see them again.

After more fruitless begging off it is decided (ha!) that I will be going. It was yesterday; drove 2 hours there and another 2 hours back. Played the nice, dutiful daughter-in-law. The pecan-crusted chicken was good although there were supposed to be SIX desserts and the club suddenly "lost" them. I was seriously ticked as I felt I deserved a reward for being there - come on!

And, if any of you think I'm being too hard on my MIL, we had a great relationship before she screwed it up by telling me her son treats me too good.

0 Comments:

<< Home