Friday, October 06, 2006

Oh, You're So Special - You Must Be a Pediatrician

Tonight was the first Bunco in my neighborhood. It was interesting! If you've never played, it's basically a mindless game where you're trying to throw certain numbers using dice. Really, just a good excuse for the neighborhood women to get out of the house and socialize for the evening.

I was really looking forward to it since we recently moved here and I knew this would be a great way to meet people. Also, my subdivision is brand new, so no one really knows each other yet. This is very important since women can be so catty. When we lived in NY and I was invited to join an existing Bunco group it turned out to be awful. All the other women had lived in the neighborhood for years and had formed cliques - I thought I was back in high school! One group was always talking about another - it was ridiculous and annoying.

Overall, tonight went very well although we never actually played Bunco - too much talking, drinking, and eating. What was very weird was the neighbor who lives behind me yelling across the room at me, "Hey, are you a pediatrician?" "Uh, no," I say, wondering how in the world that came up. "Well, are you a vet?" she comes up with next. By this time, everyone else had stopped talking to stare at me and see what the hulabaloo was about. I was wondering myself. She certainly saved the best for last: "Oh, you're a model then?" WTF? I had no idea where she was coming up with this stuff as I've never had a job remotely resembling any of those three.

I could feel myself turning bright red as everyone continued to stare at me - I'm shy! So, still yelling, she says, "Well what do you do then?" So I had to go into my whole "used to be a project manager--started moving every couple of years--studying to be a medical transcriptionist"--speech with everyone listening. Kind of a let down after they'd been hearing "pediatrician, vet, and model." So sorry to disappoint the masses.

Later I asked her where she had heard all that. She tells me, "oh, just around. We were all discussing it - wondering what you do." Apparently, I have moved into the wack job neighborhood and need to move immediately. These people have waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

I must say, though, I'm actually feeling a little flattered with the careers they've come up with, but then I just had to ruin it for myself. I had to ask who she was discussing my career with - was it the women that were here at Bunco? Oh no, she tells me, her FAMILY was discussing it. Yep, she, her husband, 16-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son were sitting around discussing my possible career choices. Am I the only one that finds this extremely bizarre? Should I take out a restraining order on her?


She ends with, "Oh, and you have a really big TV." Note to self: Close the damn blinds.

0 Comments:

<< Home