Monday, November 20, 2006

Stuff and Stuffing Type Stuff

Woo hoo! Just heard the plug has been pulled on O.J.'s book and, therefore, his television interviewing detailing how he killed his wife. Oh, I mean how he would have done it if he'd done it but he didn't actually do it but everything thinks he did but he's still not admitting it. Whatevah

Off to my aunt's in Pittsburgh for Turkey Day! Only, we're not having turkey. There will be ham for my abnormal husband who doesn't like turkey (too dry he says. I say that's because you've only had your mother's. Snap!), and various pasta dishes for us Italians as well as the usual trimmings. My husband has a case of wine already packed to help him get through the holiday. He quickly realized he couldn't take my eleventy fifteen assorted cousins as well as my parents without much liquid assistance. He's extremely outgoing yet can't seem to handle everyone talking all at once - and with their hands - and stuffing food in his face every hour. What, that's so wrong??

My brother and sister-in-law will not be coming as she just had her baby -at 29 weeks! - yesterday. They still need a name for the little nino, so please see the post below to help choose a name!

Finally, since some of you expressed great delight in liking canned cranberry goo (last week's Thursday Thirteen), I am including my recipe for homemade cranberry sauce. It's easy and much tastier!!

Katherine's Kicked Up Cranberry Sauce (sorry Emeril, don't sue me!)

1 cup sugar
1 cup water or orange juice
4 cups (12-oz package) fresh or frozen cranberries

Optional: Pecans or walnuts, orange peel, raisins, currants, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice.

I highly recommend using orange juice, 1-2 t. of grated fresh orange peel and 1 t. of cinnamon.

1. Wash and pick over cranberries. In a saucepan bring to a boil water and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cranberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries burst - they make a very cool popping sound.

2. At this point you can add any optional ingredients. I highly recommend using orange juice and 1-2 t. of grated fresh orange peel and 1 t. of cinnamon. You can add a cup of raisins or currants. You can add up to a pint of fresh or frozen blueberries for added sweetness. Spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice can be added too.

3. Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and then chill in refrigerator. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.

Cranberry sauce base makes 2 1/4 cups.

0 Comments:

<< Home