Friday, December 08, 2006

Catch a Load of These

So have you seen the list of top 10 "catch phrases" to be heard on TV? I have to take offense at some them. I know, I know, you're shocked since I'm usually so mild-mannered and accepting of everything the media tries to stuff down my throat.

1. Here's Johnny! (The Tonight Show). Absolutely! Totally agree that this should be #1. I don't care about the 12-year-olds out there who have never heard of Johnny or The Tonight Show - they haven't lived long enough to get a vote in this. Go play a video game and shut it.

2. One small step for man...(Neil Armstrong walking on the moon). Eh, OK I guess. I don't know that I would put it at #2.

3. You're fired. (The Apprentice). Are you fucking kidding me?? NO WAY. This one actually makes me want to start a movement banning the Trumpster from ever appearing on TV again. Or, at least until he gets a real hairstyle. That this "catch phrase" would even make the top ten just proves my theories that a) Trump (along with Oprah and Disney) is trying to take over the world, and b) That money can and does buy you anything.

4. Baby, you're the greatest. (The Honeymooners). I used to watch this show - in reruns, people!, and if you're going to use a phrase from the late, great Jackie Gleason, what about, "One of these days, Alice...POW, right in the kisser!" Ah, classic if not totally politically incorrect.

5. Ask not what your country can do for you...(John F. Kennedy). Yep, #5 seems about right. I wonder if 50 years from now America's fascination with the Kennedy's will have waned?

6. D'oh! (The Simpsons). OK, I guess this is pretty well known since the show has been on for eleventy-five years. But I'm surprised "I have a dream!" from Martin Luther King isn't next on the list.

7. Where's the beef? (Wendy's commercial). Remember the little old lady saying this? I don't know, I never thought it was that funny.

8. Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? (Diff'rent Strokes, Arnold). Yep, absolutely. My husband STILL says this - gah! Not funny anymore, but I will give you catchy.

9. Yabba dabba do! (The Flinstones). Again, certainly very well known but more catchy than say, "Are you sponge worthy?" from Elaine on Seinfield - no way!

10. I'm not a crook. (Richard Nixon). I guess this is a generational thing by the people that created the list since I would have substituted, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!" in this spot.

I think the list is quite disappointing. I'm shocked that not one Seinfield catch phrase made it into the top ten. What about the all time classic, "Are you the Master of your own domain?"

How about "Dyn-o-mite!" from JJ Walker on Good Times?

Where's, "De Plane! De Plane!" from little Tattoo on Fantasy Island?

"Aaaaaaaaaay" with a thumbs up from the Fonz on Happy Days"

"I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, this is my other brother Darryl." From Larry on Newhart.

"Incoming!" from Radar on M*A*S*H

Do you have a favorite TV catchphrase?

Click here for the full list of "The 100 Greatest TV Quotes & Catchphrases."


0 Comments:

<< Home