Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Hypocrisy of the NRA

Have you ever heard of Jim Zumbo? I hadn't before now. He was apparently THE biggest name in hunting--an outdoorsman extraordinaire that had a top-rated TV show on the Outdoor Channel and wrote for Outdoor Life magazine.

It's all gone now--the career, TV show, writing contracts--because he had the nerve to piss off the NRA by speaking out against assault-style firearms. He dared to say, "...I'm a traditionalist,...I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. As hunters, we don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them. I'll go so far as to call them 'terrorist' rifles."

Well, boom, career over. You would have thought he had said baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolets were un-American. It's unbelievable to me how much power the NRA wields in our society. It actually scares me and I'm absolutely disgusted by it.

I also find it incredibly hypocritical that the NRA blasted Zumbo (and others) for daring to suggest assault weapons aren't necessary; citing the Founding Fathers granting Americans the right to bear arms in the Constitution. Yet, that same Constitution grants us the right of free speech. But to the NRA, it's only OK to exercise those freedoms with which it agrees with.

I have yet to hear a logical, coherent reason why the average citizen, hunter or no, needs to have an assault-style weapon.

I also have to say I don't feel very sorry for this Zumbo guy. After realizing he had angered the great and powerful Oz, as well as TENS of THOUSANDS of assault rifle owners, he quickly and publicly apoligized. Instead of sticking to his guns (sorry), he folded like a guy with a bad poker hand.

And the NRA had the nerve to actually publicly warn people, including Congress, to pay attention to Zumbo's downfall because it WOULD happen to them if they cross the NRA. The NRA says their millions of members would "resist with an immense singular political will any attempts to create a new ban on semi-automatic firearms."

Can you believe that crap?

0 Comments:

<< Home