Saturday, February 03, 2007

Jumping on the Bed

Remember the absolute joy of jumping up and down on a bed as a child?

Is there anyone who hasn't jumped up and down on a bed?? My brother and I were, of course, told not to engage in this incredibly thrilling activity so the first chance we got, we jumped. Giggling uncontrollably as we jumped with sheer abandon; what the hell happened? When did I lose the ability to laugh like that? Laughing so hard you gasp for breath and can't stop. Now, I rarely laugh like that. Partly for fear I might pee myself a little, but that's another story. Mainly because I'm too "adult"; I just don't have time for that silliness anymore.

Several times our jumping caused the wooden slats that hold up the box spring to slip out of place and the mattress would tilt crazily; it just made us laugh harder. Twice my brother hit his head so hard against the edge of the headboard he broke the skin and had to get stitches. He still has a little bald place on his scalp where hair will not grow. Of course, since he's lost a lot of hair on the top of his head over the past few years, he's not so concerned about that little bald spot anymore.

I'm going to try to be a child more; act silly more often, laugh harder (even if I pee myself), find joy in the most insignificant activities...maybe I'll try laughing while I dust this afternoon. Joy to you.

0 Comments:

<< Home