Thursday, February 01, 2007

That's Amore!

You know when you fight with your husband or boyfriend and are convinced he's TOTALLY 100% wrong although he doesn't think so? He may whimper a little apology just to get you to shut up but you know he doesn't mean it.

Well, this guy in Rome meant it! He not only apologized, but did so very publicly. Really, you gotta love us Italians--fight hard, love harder.

Former Premier Silvio Berlusconi publicly apologized to his wife after she called him out in an open letter, accusing him of making flirtatious comments to other women. "Forgive me, I beg you. And take this public show of my private pride giving in to your fury as an act of love. One of many", he said. Dang! Now that's an apology. I bet their makeup sex rocked the house.

Of course, he probably went to "visit" his mistress the very next night, but that's Italian men for ya. Never let it be said they don't have enough passion to go around. One reason I was pretty sure I should probably find a non-Italian man to marry; otherwise, every piece of china in the house would
have probably gotten broken over his head.

I remember when I dated an Irish guy, my Grandma said in her musical, double-negative broken English: "Why you date him? You no wanna no Irish. They like the drink."

"Grandma!" I cried, spreading my arms wide to encompass the twelve person table we just finished eating at; there was at least one wine bottle for each place setting.

She did that quintessential Italian shrug: one shoulder goes up, the mouth goes down, and if you're really good, one eyebrow also goes up. "Eh, we can handle," she says, dimissing the evidence of our own debauchery.

Boy do I miss her! She died just months before I met the man I married and I know they would have adored each other. They would have sparred beautifully; each becoming louder and more sure of their argument's "rightness" as they got tipsier and tipsier. I'm sure she's up there entertaining the masses, and maybe even a few Irish.

0 Comments:

<< Home