Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Where I am From

A few weeks ago I saw amazing "Where I am From" posts on Straddling the Line and Plain Simple English.

I thought it was so brave of them and their posts were beautifully written. I wrote one myself, but haven't posted it until now because it is negative. Yet, it was what came to me first when I sat down to write, it is where I'm from. I don't think I'm that person anymore - that's where I am from, but not where I am now. I'm still waiting, but I'm a lot happier with who I am.

Where I am From

I am from corn and soybeans, from lots of green but no trees.

I am from broken English, simmering spaghetti sauce and baking bread that makes mouths water.

I am from mother, father, and brother who talk but don’t say anything. I am from latchkey and doing homework alone, waiting. From sadness, loneliness and longing.

I am from few friends but forever friends. I am from being lost in a time I don’t belong.

I am from waiting.

The origins of the "Where I am From" poem are found here. It started as a writing exercise and there is a template you can follow, although I just did my own thing because the template seemed confining to me. If you do this and want to share, click the link in comments, I'd love to read yours.

0 Comments:

<< Home