Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Greatest Generation

Hmm, what's wrong with this picture?

Well, it represents the increasing laziness of Americans. Yes, that's right, I can tell that from this one picture. Don't even try to argue with me. Do you really think a construction guy painting lines 50 years ago would have allowed this? Heck no! It wouldn't even have occurred to him to do a crappy job. That was the era of "If you're going to do something, do it right." Anyone's parents' ever tell them that?

Which brings me to one of my favorite books, The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw. If you haven't read it, I promise you it's well worth it. You'll cry, you'll laugh, you'll appreciate the strength of character that was so commonplace 50 years ago. After reading that book, I couldn't get out of my head the common refrain that so many men who served in WWII kept saying: "I was just doing my job." Over and over again, you will read that. Whether the guy almost died saving his fellow soldiers or whether he was asked how he felt about fighting a war; he was just doing what his country asked of him and he was PROUD to do it.

Frankly, it should be required reading for every teenager who thinks his or her life is just SO hard. The Greatest Generation teenagers had more responsibility at 18 than most of our country's teenagers will at 40 years old. Don't believe me? Read the book! It also makes a great gift this time of year...Dang, I wish someone was paying me for this.

0 Comments:

<< Home